Monday, March 1, 2010

Byblos Pitas, North Tampa, FL

Date: 02/28/2010
Time: Lunch
Type: "Fast" Food
Where: 2734 University Square Drive, Tampa
Party: 1 male, 1 female

Immediate Impression:
This place makes me happy! The colors are so vibrant, the space is very open with good light.

Service:
Since this is a "fast" food establishment - by that I mean strictly counter service, I really didn't anticipate much. However, the young man, and the owner, were very helpful and checked in on us to ensure we were enjoying our meal and all was well.

Menu/Food:
Middle Eastern style "fast" food - pita sandwiches, salads and traditional side dishes. I quickly learned the establishment served Lebanese style middle easter food - which does have its variant from other regions.

My guest orderd a Gyro Pita fully loaded, and I ordered the Chicken Shwarma with a side of Hummus. The chicken took a while to prepare - but boy, was it worth it.

I have to say it - I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! My food was not only large portioned, but tasted spectacular. For my pita, the server recommend adding, lettuce, tomato, garlic paste and pickled turnips - yes, I said pickled turnips! I had him dump on some cucumbers and roll it up. Instead of it being a messy fall in your lap standard pita sandwich, at Byblos they wrap them up like burritos, which are much easier for transport. This sandwich was fantastic - I didn't want to stop eating it.

I didn't try the Gyro but my guest was ranting and raving about how good the yogurt dressing was and the gyro meat tasted.

My "side" of hummus was a full half cup and came with pita chips - this came home with me.

Price:
Cheap - and they are running a special where after 5pm all pitas are $5! And for you anglos - they do have French Fries.

They also have FREE wifi and Beer - $2.95 for your first and $1.00 for each subsequent.

Also, they let us finish our meal and THEN pay - it always feels good to be trusted.

Final thought:
I am going to come here as often as possible; the food is fast and healthy. The services is prompt and amicable, and the atmosphere is conducive to a relaxing meal. I could see myself setting up my laptop and enjoying a calm late afternoon there. I am sure this place gets pack at lunch - so be warned.

Hope they open more of these locally - I will definitely have to try their full sit-down restaurant in South Tampa - Byblos Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment