Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pappa's Ranch Steakhouse Bar

Date: June 21, 2011
Time: Dinner/Drinks
Type: Restaurant/Bar
Where: 2630 Gulf to Bay Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33759
Party: Two adults

**Note: Went to this restaurant as part of Tampa Bay Restaurant Week; review is isolated to the Prix fixe menu offered @ http://cltampa.com/media/location/2280800/pappasranchweb.jpg)***

Immediate Impression:
Huge location, very clean and well laid-out.

Service:
Our server was extremely nice, although she didn't have alot of knowledge regarding the menu. She did say they were revamping the menu and some items had changed. Since we were only planning to order off the Prix Fixe this didn't pose too much of a problem except for dessert. She made sure our water glasses were always full, and promptly took away all used dishes. The manager came to our table to thank us at the conclusion of the meal.


Menu/Food:
WARNING - you had better come hungry or bring extra people! All of the dishes are HUGE! Based on the prix fixe menu, my guest and I each ordered a different appetizer, entree and dessert to be able to taste as much as possible. My order was: Fish Spread, Pork Chops w/garlic mashed potatoes & steamed butter broccoli and Bread Pudding; my guest ordered: Ceasar Salad, Ribeye w/ garlic mashed potatoes and garlic green beans, and Key Lime pie.

Fish Spread - I was not impressed, it lacked flavor and I think it was made with cream cheese. I did like the use of celery to make it crunchy. It really could have used more of a kick; honestly it tasted like chicken salad especially because the fish chucks were HUGE! I wouldn't order again, but my guest liked it, so this is probably simply personal preference.

Ceasar Salad - First, this could easily have fed 4 people. This salad is HUGE! The dressing has a bit of a kick to it, but overall enjoyable. Even with two of us eating, there was still 1/2 a bowl left before our entrees got there.

Pork Chops Entree - the mashed potatoes and broccoli were good sides, nothing really exciting to them, except for again, the portion sizes are huge. The pork chops were delicious and the peppercorn pomegranate dressing awesome (I used it as the gravy on my mashed potatoes) I brought home literally half of my meal.

Rib-eye - first, the green beans are fantastic - order them if you can! The steak was cut & cooked perfectly. Seemed to have very basic seasoning of only salt & pepper. My guest also brought home half of their meal.

Desserts - I normally skip dessert, but since it was part of the prix fixe, we went ahead and ordered it; however, I warn you, as with everything else on the menu, these are huge. Any one dessert could be split by 2-4pp. The Key lime pie is extremely tart, so if you only like a light flavor, stay clear. The bread pudding almost tasted like custard it was so smooth, however, it might have been because it is soaking (yes soaking) in warm butter!

Drinks: if you can get there before 7pm, they have a plethora of drink specials, otherwise, drafts are $2 and pitchers $7.

Allegren Info: If you can't eat butter, this is not the place for you! Everything has butter and lots of it! While looking over the menu, there seems a little something for everyone, but remember the portion sizes are HUGE! Be careful with the dessert or make sure you speak with the manager/chef. For those with a gluten allergy, ask about the sauces used on the meat, I believe they are flour based.

Price: The prix fixe price was $25pp; our meals would have costs $28.50 and $33.50 respectively with out the discount, but that is including dessert ($11.00 extra) which I normally wouldn't do. Truthfully, the menu is pretty normal for the area, and you could easily share the salad and the appetizer.

Final thought: I will be back to try other items. Overall, my experience was pleasant and the food ample. Because of the size of all the items, this would probably be a very good place to host a dinner party. Plus....now I have lunch for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment